Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Curriculum night recap

Students and teachers discuss and share their experiences at curriculum night
Mr. Hobbs (FAC) helps Natalie Kossoff (’27) with her course selection on Curriculum Night. Photo by A. Wallis

On Mon. 29, representatives from different AP classes and clubs helped answer questions about their groups. Helping with how they function and what the course is like, along with meeting the leaders of those groups. 

Poster boards and props filled the gym floor to advertise the different groups and provide more information to those interested. The science tables were filled with models of human anatomy. And the FBLA table showing off their trophies from past wins. 

One member who was helping, Tina Lin  (’24), promoted the medical academy to people interested in the medical field. Emphasizing that they can join to be a certified nursing assistant, or  CNA, and emergency medical responders, or EMR. 

“I was promoting the CNA program [and]  EMR program. It’s for the medical academy program at the school to be able to do those courses,” Lin said. 

Dennis Koslin (FAC) ran the AP environmental science class booth. Helped those interested in taking the class in picking the right courses for them before taking his class. He gave details to families on how to be successful in the class. 

“Students should be intrinsically driven. They don’t need necessarily need to have absolute passion for science, but they should want to challenge themselves with a rigorous curriculum and be willing to dedicate time in order to be able to complete their coursework, “ Koslin said. 

One person who is currently in an AP class is Sydney Dufort (’25). She helped run the AP biology booth. She gave insight to people who want to take the class in the future since she is currently taking the class. 

“It gives people more insight of [what] the class they’re going to take so they know more about it look versus going in blind,” 

Students should ask their guidance council if they did not receive help at curriculum night with their course card and if they have any questions. They should also ask future teachers if they have more questions about the class, along with representatives from clubs they might be interested in joining next year.