Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

A path to victory or war in Yemen

Insight on the missile strikes between the US and Yemen, and how it affects Up incoming adults.
A path to victory or war in Yemen

With violence occurring across the world, it isn’t a surprise that the U.S has put their foot in the door of war. Many don’t know what has been happening within Yemen, and how the US has been responding to them. 

For the past couple months the U.S has been bombing Houthi rebel forces. Reason being, rebels have been  attacking ships owned by countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands. On Jan. 12th, 2024 according to Tara Copp and Lolita  C. Baldor under APNews. The United States, with support of the United Kingdom, Australia, Bahrain, Canada, and the Netherlands, started sending missile strikes to Yemen rebels sites, and missile locations.

The Houthi’s  have been attacking ships,  due to the thought of allegiance between the ships and Israel, when in most cases the ships had no connections to Israel. This is based on Jon Gambrell From APNews . The Houthi’s  are attacking Israeli ships to show their side with the Palestinians.

When asked, what does this conflict mean for members of the US army and the future of the world. Ethan Hohman (’25) believes that once the USgets involved it could lead to another world war,

“If America gets involved it can be one of two ways, we could either stomp them into the ground, or if they get support from terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda, or countries like Russia and it could start World War III,” Hohman said.

Although we could be on the cusp of war, other students have different perspectives of the whole ordeal, Carlos Arce (’25) is one of those students. Arce has been keeping up with what has been happening since the beginning of the conflicts. After being asked about his opinions, Arce  goes in depth about how he feels regarding the Pakistan and Israel war (the reasons behind the attacks of the ships).

“The US supports Israel because of trade relations, and not by what they are doing. What Israel is doing to Pakistan can’t be called war, its genocide,” Arce said.

Later he goes into further detail about the horrors of “war.”

“Israel has been bombing hospitals,killing innocent civilians and even killing children. These are similar tactics that Hitler used during World War II,” Arce said.

However the majority of people still do not know of this topic, Katelyn McCoy (’25) is one of the many who don’t know what’s going on overseas. 

“It’s not that I don’t care what’s going on in Yemen, but it’s not widespread nor is it talked about enough for me to know about it.” McCoy said.

With this topic not being a very spoken one, This overseas conflict may surprise people if it becomes an international conflict.