Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Stampede earns prestigious NSPA and CSPA awards

“The Stampede” yearbook has been nominated for various national awards over the course of the class and this year is no exception

The Stampede’s 23rd volume “The Bright Side” has been awarded the Columbia Scholastic Press Association’s (CSPA) Crown award, which is the highest recognition given to student journalists and their publications. The same volume was also nominated for National Scholastic Press Association’s (NSPA) Pacemaker award, given to the best of the best.
  Ms. Susan McNulty (FAC) explains her role in The Stampede as the lead advisor.
  “It’s always humbling to be nominated since so few schools in the country get nominated, so you never quite know if you should expect it or not. I knew we designed a good book that checked all the boxes but it’s still subjective because you never know what the judges are gonna do, so when I found out we won an award from NSPA, I was really excited since it’s a hard one to get. But when we got the Columbia one from New York City, I was really happy because that award was really elusive,” Ms. McNulty said.
  Audrey Koczanski (’25) shares her excitement on the accomplishments she’s achieved, being an editor for the Stampede.
  “I felt pretty accomplished since I had a big role as an editor last year and I worked on a lot of the design for the pages, and it felt really good for our book to be nominated for that kind of thing. As an editor it can feel really stressful sometimes, but it feels really rewarding when the book comes out, and especially when the student body appreciates it,” Koczanski said.
  Alyssa Baker (’24) comments on the awards they are receiving as a 2023-2024 Editor in Chief for The Stampede.
  “Personally, I felt really proud of me and my team from this and last year because we worked really hard to make “The Bright Side” (2022-2023 yearbook). My classmates worked really well, and have collaborated to make this yearbook really good so far. We put in a lot of time and effort and it was really rewarding to be nominated for such big awards. As an EIC it has its ups and downs, but I’ve enjoyed most of it since it’s been a great experience to make this year’s yearbook,” Baker said.
  The lead adviser, Ms. McNulty will be headed to CSPA in New York City on March 12 to receive the Crown award, and Kansas City, MO to receive the Pacemaker award from NSPA on April 4th. Until then, they’ll be working on their 24th volume which is yet to be named.