Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Getting creative and getting hours

Unique ways to volunteer arise as students need quite a few volunteer hours for clubs and college applications.
+Michelins+Damianakis+%2825%29+works+to+pass+out+pajamas+to+young+kids+and+teens+in+foster+care++I+wanted+to+help+kids+and+teens+then+realized+that+kids+in+foster+care+might+not+have+comfy%2C+cozy+pajamas+for+when+they+go+to+bed+so+i+wanted+to+make+sure+they+do.+Damianakis+said.+
Michelins Damianakis (’25) works to pass out pajamas to young kids and teens in foster care ” I wanted to help kids and teens then realized that kids in foster care might not have comfy, cozy pajamas for when they go to bed so i wanted to make sure they do.” Damianakis said.

Community service is a big part of the highschool experience, whether it’s for a club or scholarship. Some scholarships like Bright Futures require up to 100 hours of community service, and clubs like Interact need up to 12 hours.  With this many community service hours people need to get creative in their ways of obtaining these hours. 

Addison Phipps (‘26) volunteers by helping take care of the kindergarteners at Longleaf Elementary School in her Mom’s classroom. It’s a fun way for her to get her hours and spend time with her mom. 

“I love volunteering at Longleaf, all the kids are so sweet. I think it’s a fun way to get my hours and I love working with kids so it works out in my favor.” Phipps said. 

Jennifer Leavey (FAC) has been a sponsor of the Leo’s club since 2018, she is very passionate about volunteering and keeps track of many volunteering opportunities. 

“I have been a sponsor of the Leos club since 2018 and we give kids some opportunities to volunteer. For example we will have kids work concessions at the track meets, something like that is more Mitchell based but we also tell the club members about other opportunities like roadside clean ups and other similar activities that connect kids to the community.” Leavey said.

Leavey is very passionate about the reasons people should volunteer in their community and just in general.

“Volunteering for a good cause makes you feel more connected with the world that you live in. By volunteering and giving back to your community you are giving a part of yourself and a part of your heart and that is good for everybody.” 

Michelina Damianakis (‘25) is a great example of giving back of how giving back to your community can be good for you and the people you are helping. She has a unique way of getting her volunteer hours and doing what she loves, helping her community. 

“I have a project that I started in 2022 called the pajamas for all project, I have donated over 500 pairs of new or gently used pajamas to kids and teens in foster care. I didn’t start this for my volunteering hours but sometimes I will log an hour or two here and there for all the work I do.” Damianakis said. 

Volunteering is such an important part of your highschool career and your development as a person, finding unique ways to help can be fun and make you feel connected to your school and your community.