Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Order on the court

Girls Tennis kicks off for the ‘24 season with team aims for aces.
Lauren Tifer (’25) serving the ball during tennis practice. “I think the team can improve by learning how to work with each other and learning our strengths and weaknesses,” Tifer said.

Putting on their sneakers and grabbing their racquets, the girl’s tennis team starts their season as the temperatures start to warm up back to typical Sunshine State norms. The girls huddle around the coach, talking over games and what to expect for the day’s practice. Grace Roosa (’26), last year’s undefeated player, expands on how she feels she’ll do this season. 

“I’ve been playing tennis for probably two years now, and I really enjoy it, especially because there are so many girls and everyone’s super nice. I’m in a couple clubs and I also do tumbling every once in a while but tennis is my main thing,” Roosa said. 

According to Roosa, there are 14 people on the team, considerably large, compared to last year’s team which had 11 people. 

“I think to improve as a team maybe doing more doubles work because we definitely have a strong team, but communicating better with our people would be better,” Roosa said.

Adelayne Kooistra (’26) also speaks her opinion on the sport and the team dynamics.

“I started playing tennis when I was eight years old. I think it’s really underrated as a sport, and is actually competitive. During this season, I think I’ll definitely get better over time. I’m a little bit low right now but I’m going to try to work my way up. I think it’s hard to say how we could all improve since it’s more of an individual sport, but I think bonding is the most important thing for our team. Since my freshman year the team has changed a lot; it’s bigger and there are different people this year,” Kooistra said. 

The coach who worked with the team last year, became the head coach this year. In Kooistra’s terms she is very organized and she enjoys her as a person. 

Lauren Tifer (’25), who has been on the team since freshman year, shares her experiences and thoughts on the sport.

“I started playing tennis when COVID started, so I joined the team freshman year. The only reason the team’s changed since then is because of the different people but we’re still really close. I would say the team is the largest it has been since I got here. When I go to college I’m going to do tennis more as just a hobby, and major in either accounting or law,” Tifer said.

Tifer also notes that currently, the team’s biggest rival is Land’O Lakes, which the girls will be playing against on Mar. 19.