Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Down to the gear

There are major differences between girls and boys in the rules and gear in lacrosse
+Austin+Whitaker+%28%6026%29+wears+different+padding+then+the+girls+because+of+the+different+amount+of+contact.+%0A+++Id+say+a+big+difference+is+our+padding%2C+I+wear+a+good+amount+of+padding+because+we+are+aloud+to+be+more+violent+so+the+padding+helps+keep+us+from+getting+too+hurt.+Whitaker+said.
Austin Whitaker (`26) wears different padding then the girls because of the different amount of contact. “I’d say a big difference is our padding, I wear a good amount of padding because we are aloud to be more violent so the padding helps keep us from getting too hurt.” Whitaker said.

Many sports like Football, Rugby, lacrosse etc, have some major differences between the rules and attire when you take men and women into account.

In Lacrosse there are a few major differences between the boys and girls version of how they play. A significant one is the amount of contact and the way the stick is set up. For example the men’s sticks have a deeper pocket than the women’s so it is easier for them to keep control of the ball when they are checked, or hit by a defender that is trying to knock the ball out of the opponents stick head. Some people think these differences can be sexist but others believe the different rules even out in the amount of restrictions .

Linsey Hoskins (FAC) has been coaching girls lacrosse for twelve years and has been at Mitchell for seven  years. To be a coach she has to be familiar with the game and know the major differences between the rules.

“I think it’s a different game, men have a different set of rules. For example, women can’t shoot at another person, but men can, so they wear different padding. Also women can make contact but can not hit someone therefore they don’t have as much padding, mostly just a mouthguard,” Hoskins said.   

Some girls even think the differences can be sexist. Rillee Barnett (’24) has been playing lacrosse for nine years, and has tried playing with the rules targeted to Men.

“I have played a pickup guys game once and it was so much fun. I think it is a bit sexist that girls don’t get to play the same way. In sports like rugby, their women’s league wears more padding and uses the same set of rules, I feel that lacrosse could do the same and we could play like the guys,” Barnett states. 

Ethan Quinlan (FAC) coaches the boys lacrosse team and has been playing lacrosse since he was 10 years old. He shares a similar viewpoint as Barnett. 

“I do think that it is sexist that girls lacrosse is not the same game as boys due to physicality. There is no reason why girls cannot play the same style that the boys play. For example, in hockey boys and girls play the same and have similar padding. I believe that since the two games have been different for so long that it is tough to change them into the same due to so many players and coaches being accustomed to the current game. However, for the growth of the sport and the equality of how the two are portrayed, I do hope one day the girls are playing the same style and rules as the boys,” Quinlan says.

Unlike Barnett and Quinlan, Austin Whitaker (’26) does not see a problem in the differences and thinks they each have their differences so it evens out. 

“Both boys and girls have their own set of rules that are targeted towards their strengths and weaknesses so it evens out and ends up being fair in the end. I have been playing lacrosse for 4 years now and I have played girls lacrosse before and it felt so much different and didn’t come naturally,” Whitaker said.

Both girls and boys lacrosse is a popular school sport. They have their own differences and everyone’s opinions are valid about the differences. Either way the students who play lacrosse show great dedication and still prevail through their differences.