Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

A new season in the ballpark

The Varsity baseball team has been practicing on their home field months before the season has started with vast fine tuning and preparation.
Colin McRaven (’24) prepares to pitch the ball to an Anclote batter during the Varsity pre-season game.”I like striking people out, since it’s fun. The game against Anclote was pretty easy because they were less talented than our team and [I think] we were better than them in every aspect,” Colin McRaven (’24) said.

With the baseball field getting greener grass and athletes to play and practice on it, the baseball team has been practicing on their home field since Oct. 2023 to prepare for the upcoming spring season. The season officially begins on Feb. 13, 2024 with a varsity game against Anclote high school.
  Kyle Koslin (’26) has been playing since he was three and plays as a catcher. He reflects back on his practice.
  “We’ve been practicing since the fall, and are still  practicing right now. Practices are a bit harder because we’re getting ready for games and to play, but they’re fun. I like hitting homers and hanging out with Coach Chittum, which makes them worth it. The people on the team also make it really worth it since we all have a good relationship with each other,” Koslin said.
  Logan Koslin (’25) plays on third base and shares his excitement for the new baseball season starting.
  “I’m really excited to see us play, since we have a group of guys with really good chemistry, so it should be a great season. We’ve been practicing every day since October, or the fall from 3:00pm to 6:00pm, and we also practice on Saturdays. I think practice is really easy, but we work hard and love to do it, and I can’t wait for games to start,” Koslin said.
  Coach Howard Chittum (FAC) reveals how dedicated he wants the team to be, in order to keep an organized, and efficient ball club.
  “Everyday I consider the most important aspects I reach out for is an efficient and organized practice schedule that accomplishes the goals for the day. We have a really competitive team that’s young, hungry and excited to prove that we’re still a very good ball club, however if we don’t work hard we will struggle. I want to be able to say at the end of the season that our team over exceeded our expectations,“ Chittum said.
  When the pre-season ends after Feb. 13,  it will allow time for athletes and coaches to fine tune techniques and learn what needs to be changed from previous games to win more upcoming games to come.