Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Starting the season strong

The Varsity softball team begins to practice for their forthcoming season.

The whoosh of a softball can be heard across the field as the team practices for their upcoming games. With the Varsity softball season starting in the next few weeks, practices are being held every Monday through Thursday. Reagan Stephens (’24) describes some of the things that the team does best and what skills they need to improve on.

“I feel like our team is very solid on defense, and that is one thing that we’ve been known for. I’ve always worked on it throughout the years, just a solid defense. I really don’t think we need to improve on much, just always try to keep that positive attitude and just always try to give 100% no matter what,” Stephens said.

Mackenzie Tucker (’26) has been on the Varsity team since her freshman year in high school. She gives her thoughts on the team for this season.

“I’m looking forward to being a better team this season, and I think we have the team for it. I think we all talk a lot and we’re working good together,” Tucker said.

Brenna Rush (’25) has been a starter for the Varsity softball team since her freshman year. When asked she explains how she thinks this year is going to go, and gives details about the team dynamic.

“We lost six seniors last year and we got some freshmen coming in that are stepping up. So, I’m excited to see them grow and progress. I think we need to work on encouraging each other more and just being there for each other. We’re all young, and we only have two seniors. It’s like we don’t want to separate each other and have groups. As a team, we all need to come together basically,” Rush said.

With a new season approaching the team has to make some adjustment to some of the changes that have happened since last year. Stephens describes how losing six seniors has affected the team, and what the new dynamic is like.

“We did just get a bunch of new uniforms and we do kind of have a new team this year since a lot of our seniors left last year, but nothing too big. Practices have been going very, very well. Everyone’s been working hard and just having fun” Stephens said.

When asked about how practices are going, Rush gives her thoughts on how it is going.

“[Practices are going] great actually, I can see everybody doing well, they’re playing 110%, and I’m pretty excited for the games,” Rush said.

The girls are all spending time getting to know each other and are starting to build that team dynamic.

“I’m most looking forward to just hanging out with all the girls, having fun and to just be a pretty solid team this year. I really think that a lot of us are a big whole group and we really tried to hang out with a lot of the freshmen and the underclassmen, and have them get along and just for everyone to be one team. I definitely really like all the new girls, their skill level and attitudes are all perfect and everyone’s enjoyable,” Stephens said.

When asked what game she was looking forward to playing most, Rush explained the team she was excited to face.

“Our preseason games are against Calvary and Steinbrenner, which I’m pretty excited to play against Steinbrenner because we haven’t played them, and we didn’t play them last year,” Rush said.

As of Feb. 21, the team is 1-0, and their next game is on Feb. 27, at Fivay high school. Make sure to stop by to watch the game and to support the team.