Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

What to watch and why not to watch

People share what they are watching on television and why they are not watching

Over time, watching habits change and develop with new types of media like social media apps and new streaming sites. Some stick with television shows, while some move to places like Instagram and TikTok for their content. 

Jonah Alfieri (’25) started watching shows like The Walking Dead, El Camino, and Breaking Bad. It is his first time watching these shows and he started watching them due to their popularity. 

“Recently I’ve been watching The Walking Dead. I’ve been going through all the popular Netflix series like Breaking Bad and El Camino,” Alfieri said. “I just watch them because I know they were popular. I’m kind of  interested to find out why they were popular,”

Alfieri has seen that over time that tv shows have become darker over time with more dramatic themes and complex characters. 

“It’s gotten [more] gritty and dramatic. It’s less comedic usually and it has darker tones,” Alfieri said.

Despite the change in the type of shows being produced, some people have moved away from watching shows and prefer to watch content on social media apps. They have made the switch from traditional places for entertainment to newer places that serve shorter-length videos that fit their interest more. 

One of these people is Armani Coleman (‘24). He used to watch cable shows as a kid but has switched over to different social media platforms. He feels like shows don’t connect with him as much as they used to. 

“I used to have cable growing up, so I definitely was more of a TV person, but I feel like everyone’s on TikTok and Instagram. It’s more relatable and better media for me to watch rather than TV shows. I feel like they don’t touch with me anymore as much as they used to,” Coleman said. 

Another person who has made the switch to watching more content on social media is Jaydon Letona (’26). He mostly sticks to social media for his content since he has trouble paying attention to longer-form content. 

“I can’t really seem to stay interested or be attached to it long enough,” said Letona. “TikTok and Instagram are quicker, so I can pay attention to something new every second,”

With changes in viewer habits, the environment of television shows and longer forms of media is up in the air and is ever-changing.  However, people will still want to watch something and that is up to consumers to decide that.

The live-action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender has recently come out on Netflix. It is an adaption of the animation of the same name which came out in 2005 (Aidan Wallis)