Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Musical madness

Movies like Mean girls, Willy Wonka, and the Color purple have recently been turned into musicals and people have different thoughts on them
Griffin Murphy (’26) watched Wonka and thought it was good for a musical. “I don’t really watch musicals but i enjoyed this one, I thought Timothee Chalamet did a really good job” Murphy said.

The movie industry has been coming out with new movies left and right. Most of the new ones coming out have had a musical component to them. Movies like ‘Mean Girls,’ ‘Wonka,’ and ‘The Color Purple’ have been major hits with ‘Mean Girls’ making one hundred and thirty  million dollars in box office and “Wonka” bringing insert studio name five hundred and eight million dollars. 

Mackenzie Rendall (’25) watched the readapated “Mean Girls” movie and liked it but thought it was a little“cringey.” 

“The movie was mostly good, except for a few parts that were a bit cringey. A couple of times when they were singing I felt like it was almost a joke, like they would randomly zoom into characters’ faces while they were singing and it was just cringey,” Rendall said.

Addison Phipps (’26) saw the ‘Wonka’ movie and liked the entire movie, even the musical portion. 

“I’m a big fan of Timothee Chalamet and “Willy Wonka”, so when I found out Timothee Chalamet was going to be in the Wonka musical I was so excited. I thought the music was really good and I found myself listening to the sound track quite a lot. My favorite song ‘You’ve Never had Chocolate like this’ that Timothee Chalamet sings,” Phipps said.

Lillian Scicolone (’27) thinks that musicals are going to re emerge as  a trend in the movie industries because of their increase in popularity recently.

“I saw the ‘Wonka’ movie and I really liked it and heard about other people liking it. I think musicals are better as a movie and more people can watch them so I think they will become a trend for the movie industry,” Scicolone said. 

There are different things that are good about musicals and other things that people aren’t the biggest fan of but music and movies touch people all over the world. Even musicals like ‘Wonka’ or ‘Mean Girls’ can mean something to someone. Soon exciting Musicals like ‘Wicked: Part one’, ‘Joker: Folie à Deux’, and 

‘Mufasa: The Lion King’ will be shown on the big screen.