Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

A new face leads the team

A sophomore quarterback leads the football team for the 23’ season
Vania
Cayden Thomas (’26) eyes down the opposing team.

As the football season starts a new face takes the field. As the full-time Cayden Thomas (‘26) starts the position of quarterback as a sophomore. Being an underclassman has brought new challenges for him and the team. He understands the pressure he faces, having to lead the team in his position. Questions were asked if he was up for the season ahead of him and he answered decisively.

“I feel like it’s a big responsibility, especially because I come on underclassmen, and you kind of have to act more mature and appropriate to kind of lead those like seniors and juniors on the team,” Thomas said.

Thomas put up two touchdowns and 271 yards against the Gulf High School Buccaneers. With his performance, he hopes the worries about his potential inexperience have been put to rest.

“They at first they kind were kind of, kind of iffy about it. They were like,’ he’s just a sophomore coming in and trying to play quarterback with them’. After my first game. They were like, Oh, he can really do it. And now it’s just like a family. Now we’re all on the same page,” Thomas said.

Thomas sees himself as a double-threat quarterback with his rushing and his arm that he hopes can trick defenses and make big plays on the field. In the game against Gulf, he rushed for 15 yards in four carries.

“I can run the ball extremely well, as well as pass but like I just feel like that just makes me a more of a threat that I can run into,” Thomas said

As a quarterback, Thomas wants the ball in his hands to make those game-deciding plays that can win or lose games.

“I just like that I have the ball in my hand. I had the ball in my hand like to start the play and I basically have control over the game. I like that,” Thomas said.

Thomas and the rest of the football team face their rivals, River Ridge, on Sept. 8 at home and expect a large turnout.