Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

From pep talks to triumphs

A glimpse into how the Girls Varsity Soccer Team has achieved their wins this season.
Evann Pippio (’24) practices before a game against Wiregrass Ranch High School. “Before we play we’ll also huddle together and set the expectations for the game,” Pippio said. They won against the opposing team with a score of 1-0.

As the soccer season comes to an end, students may wonder how the Girls Varsity team has achieved all that they have this season. The team is currently ranked fifth in the district and 324th nationally, proving themselves a force to be reckoned with. The team’s work-ethic and supportive atmosphere may have played a key role in their success. Charlotte Moore (’27) stands out as the sole freshman on the team, and has been playing soccer for 11 years. She enjoys the challenge of being on the varsity team at such a young age, and plans to pursue excellence throughout the rest of her highschool career.

“I like going against girls that are much older and bigger than me. It gives me new experiences and challenges,” Moore said. 

Before every game, the team engages in a pre-game pep talk, led mostly by the team’s seasoned players. Seniors take on the role of “mentors” to the younger players, through their “Bigs and Littles” program. Each senior instructs an underclassman, guiding them through practices and welcoming them to the team. 

After a successful game, the team congratulates each other and reviews how they can improve and what they did well while playing. Evann Pippio (’24) mentored this year with 14 years of soccer experience.

“We discuss how we think the game went, and sometimes we go out to eat to celebrate,” Pippio said. 

With this atmosphere, the team has become close-knit, making it difficult to say goodbye for the senior players this year.

“It’s bittersweet having to leave the team after so long, but I’m excited for college too,” Pippio said.

As the team wraps up their stellar season with a total of ten triumphs, their accomplishments demonstrate their ability to work together to take home the win.