Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Beyond the catalog

What do students think about the course selection at our school?
Gavin Owens (’26) is looking at the 2024-2025 course card, picking his classes for the next school year.

Every year at the beginning of the second semester, students are faced with a course catalog where they state what classes they want to pursue next year. Different schools go through the same process with different classes to choose from, but students here have some opinions on our school’s process specifically.

According to Mackenzie Archibald (’26), “I feel like there’s a good variety of courses.” She said she is happy with the current selection, however wishes there were more “fun” classes on campus. “Most of our [fun classes], you have to take them online if you want to take them.” Along with that, she said, “I even wish there were more APs that we can take.” Overall, though, she holds a positive view of this school’s course selection, stating that “there’s a lot of college classes to take, and classes that help prepare us for the future.”

Sophia Hernandez (‘26) said the same. “I think that it has a wide variety and many different options rather than other schools.” Hernandez has been to other schools before and has seen their catalogs, and she says, “they put a lot of dedication into what they can provide for the students here. There’s more than enough here, they even add extra.”

Riley Payne (‘25) has also seen other schools’ course selections through her friends and family in different schools. 

“We have a much bigger variety of multiple categories of courses instead of other schools having lots of courses in one category.” 

Payne holds a similar stance in that she believes our school is plentiful in courses to select from. She stated, “I think there’s a wide variety of courses. It’s just easy to pick what you want.” 

There are many students that go here who believe that the courses offered to students are diverse and interesting, some others disagree. However with the accelerated development of new technologies such as artificial intelligence and augmented reality, regardless of whether or not the current student base is happy with the course selection here, there is likely to be a shift in available classes to fit the ever changing needs of students and their future career paths. Even so, it is hard to predict the path our school will go in regards to the classes students may take.