Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Tropic like its hot

Teenagers of Florida discuss their spring break plans.
Jade Barthelemy (’27) practices doing sit ups to try and get her numbers up for the upcoming NJROTC nationals, it is held in the Pensacola and is at the end of spring break. This competition will determine their ranking nationally.

March is coming quickly and so is the need for another break. With spring break approaching Florida teens start planning what they want to do with their week of freedom. Since the weather will be getting warmer (hopefully) that will open up more opportunities for beach trips and activities with friends and family. 

Fishing’s an enjoyable thing for many as it allows for a day in the sun and water. Ergu Li (’26) enjoys fishing, as he goes almost every weekend, and can be seen posting his adventures on his Instagram and Snapchat. He says that it’s an enjoyable thing and it allows him to let loose.

“I’m going to go about 100 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico and catch some big fish, go diving and spearfishing with my dad and then maybe sell some of what I catch so I can make some money,” Li said. 

Li is also attending a Lunar New Year Boba and boat racing festival that is held in Largo. The festival has practices for several months leading up to the boat competition.

“It’s a late celebration but it has dragons and Boba which is really all you need,” Li said.

For some students the school work never ends, Novalie David (’24) plans to practice for the upcoming NJROTC nationals.  

“I plan on going up to Pensacola with the ROTC unit to compete in the national championship at the end of my spring break, but during the start of my break I plan on working at Smoothie King and getting my hours up,” David said. 

Jade Barthelemy (’27) has a more relaxed approach to break, she plans on staying in the majority of the break with the exception of ROTC nationals at the end of the break.

“I plan on catching up on sleep and fixing my sleep schedule, mainly just staying inside during break and hanging out with my friends occasionally,” Barthelemy said. 

All in all everyone is awaiting their release from school and the ability to sleep in and participate in the activities that the warm weather brings like adventure island opening back up and the beach becoming more of a welcoming adventure.