Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Risky grades for a risky quarter

Students discuss the deal with becoming an “academic weapon” and what that term entails
Photo by Landon Mitcham

As students get ready to welcome their progress reports for quarter three, some may wonder whether or not they should be trying at all.There are conversations going around where students are going to turn their education around to become an “academic weapon” this semester as opposed to last semester, which may not have gone too well. Numerous students have been making an effort to change the way that they are learning and doing their work this semester as a last ditch effort to try and fix their grades.

Charlie Godel (’26) counts himself as someone who is making an academic comeback this semester.    

“I believe that I can make a comeback this semester. If I push myself and push myself, then I know I can get to that A level GPA. Many people don’t understand the consequences of not trying the first semester, myself included. When applying for college, they don’t just look at the final year grade, but rather each semester, and quarter grade as one part of a whole,” Charlie said.

Most people may not understand the severity of the situation they are in when they try to embody the “academic weapon,” but it’s also true that many people recognize exactly what they are getting themselves into, whether they’re doing it on purpose or not.

Karim Roshdy (’26) another victim to the premise of making a comeback, tells us how he hadn’t meant to fall into this norm, and how he plans to get out.

“Last year and part of last semester, I think I really messed up with my grades and my lack of motivation. This time around, however, I’ve been trying a lot harder and have been doing work even when I don’t want to so I can make this so-called ‘academic comeback’,” Roshdy said.

It’s clear that some people don’t do it to themselves on purpose, and are rather just dragged into it with no further debate. But when all is said and done, the idea of making an “academic comeback” is one that is left to the individual to decide.