Upcoming Events
  • 8/12 BACK TO SCHOOL
  • HAVE A GOOD SUMMER!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Hitting the half-way mark

A week of exams and tests are upon us
Sarah+Auclair+%28%E2%80%9827%29+reviews+her+notes.+%E2%80%9CCollege+Boards+see+your+semester+grades+so+if+you+do+good+on+your+semester+exams%2C+you+get+a+better+chance+on+getting+into+a+good+college%2C%E2%80%9D+Auclair+said.+
Sarah Auclair (‘27) reviews her notes. “College Boards see your semester grades so if you do good on your semester exams, you get a better chance on getting into a good college,” Auclair said.

When December arrives, students and teachers  kick it into high gear as the end of the semester  approaches. Many are preparing for their semester exams, and first semester classes are drawing to a close. Exam week begins on Dec. 18, so  preparations and pressure begin for testing as reviews and relearning of material rise. 

Sarah Auclair (‘27) comments on how she has begun preparing for the week. 

“To prepare for my AP class’s semester exam, I’m studying a lot and reviewing material. Knowing me, I’ll probably think I did good but do bad. After exam week, to celebrate finishing my tests, I’m just going to sleep all week,” Auclair said. 

Auclair has already begun her Advanced Placement (AP) journey by taking AP Human Geography as a freshman, and prepares to take the exam next Tuesday [December 19]. 

AP classes are not always easy, the courses are designed to have more work than standard classes; so taking four at once would most likely require the skill of time management, something Carrigan Knightley (‘25) does on a daily basis, according to her.

“I am taking College Algebra, a semester class, and it’s really stressful to make sure that I get the grade I want by the end of the semester. So I think it’s a little more stressful and a lot more work than a regular class. I’m taking four AP classes this year and I just took my semester exam for [College Algebra] and I just did a lot of practice because I really needed an A on this test to get an A in the class, but my other semester exam I have is in my AP chemistry class. That’s my weakest class at the moment, I have a B in it and I’ve already kind of accepted it. After exams, to celebrate it I’m just going to not worry about school and it’s break. For me, I have to start studying early or I’ll literally be stressed out for days on end, so I just have to start preparing two weeks in advance,” Knightley said. 

Knightley is currently taking AP English Composition, AP Capstone Research, AP US History, and AP Chemistry. She started her AP journey in her freshman year by taking AP Human Geography as well. 

The Tryzbiak twins, Sydney Tryzbiak (‘26) and Camryn Tryzbiak (‘26) also have packed schedules, as they are each taking two to three AP classes. 

“My opinion on semester exams is that they can be quite stressful at times because there is a lot of build up for one moment, for one exam. It feels like an entire semester is going into one test and that can be a little bit stressful, and I can get a little scared if I’m having an off day during an exam day. I feel like some exams don’t really show what I’ve learned, but also when I’m feeling confident they can be a great way to show that I have learned stuff, although that is much less common,” Sydney said.

“If you consider College Algebra as a semester class, that’s one I’m taking and we actually had our final for that last Friday. I’m also taking AP World History and AP Computer Science, and for Computer Science I don’t think we’re taking a semester exam but in World History I believe we are, so I’m just kind of reviewing what I did throughout the semester, just looking through the notes we made and sometimes watching Youtube videos which go over the content which generally reminds me of those little niche details I usually forget. I don’t feel ready exactly right now [to take the semester exams], I feel like I’m never ready but it’s going to be okay just that when I get my results I’m probably going to be disappointed in myself because I always feel like I can do better, but ultimately I think I won’t fail the exams but I won’t do as good as I want to,” Sydney said. 

Tryzbiak mentions that she’ll remind herself that she got through the exams when they’re done. Her sister, Camryn Tryzbiak, comments with how she feels about exam week as well. 

“I think that semester classes are generally somewhat beneficial because it does allow you to kind of switch up the year. I guess I am taking dual enrollment College Algebra and I’m definitely a bit scared for sure. It’s kind of intimidating, you know, that we’re already halfway through the year, it’s just insane. I’m taking [AP Spanish Language & Composition], AP Capstone, and AP World History. To prepare for exams, there’s definitely a lot of paying attention required, a lot of just studying and trying to do the best I can on everything. I think I’ll do somewhat well. I’ve done pretty well on AP exams and other things like that in the past, but I’m not fully confident in my SAT scores because you can never fully confidently know about what’s going to happen on that day. After exams I’m just gonna chill and have a long sleep knowing I’m done with this,” Camryn said.

As of today, students are preparing over the weekend and on Monday before the quickly approaching week of exams.