Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Prettier in pink

The Barbie movie recently came out and is moving many people with its message while giving people a movie to watch together.

On July 21st the Barbie movie came out and sold out theaters making 1 billion dollars in only 3 weeks according to CNN. Attenders dressed from head to toe in pink attire like the famous plastic couple Barbie and Ken to show spirit while watching the film.

Amilie Blanco(‘26) went with a group of her friends and they all dressed in pink.

“Well we wanted to dress up because it’s the Barbie movie and Barbie is so iconic. I feel like you have to, and also all the guys dressed up for the Minion movie so now it is our turn,” Blanco said.

The Barbie movie is about the main character Barbie who is played by actress Margot Robbie. Barbie starts to go into an existential crisis, she is forced to go to the human world and find out her true purpose. Gaby Bronsin(‘27) was surprised by how relatable the movie actually was.

“I loved the movie I think it was so well made and I feel like I was able to relate to it a lot more then I had thought cause going in I thought it was just going to be about Barbie and Ken and never had I imagined myself crying to the Barbie movie but overall I really enjoyed the movie,” Bronson said.

Amanda Duhl(‘25)  felt the Barbie movie helped bring light to the misogyny in the world and really felt moved by the way the movie went about representing the issue.

“I think the movie brought more attention to misogyny and it helped give people a sense that we are all created equal and that we should all deserve the same things in life,” Dahl said.

The Barbie movie was able to partner with commercial brands, Kendra Scott and Crocs, helping advertise the movie more. Even more impressive before the movie was released it had partnered with over 30 brands. According to highsnobiety.com. Their marketing technique highly contributed to the gross profit of the movie.