Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Anyone can play ’ball

Homecoming Week jumps straight into action with the annual powderpuff game where the classes go head-to-head in a competitive flag football tournament.

In a sea of spirited festivities marking the days before the much-anticipated fall dance, Homecoming Week began with a roaring start as the school filed into the football stadium to witness the powderpuff flag football game on Oct. 23. With this annual clash between the grades, the classes of ’24, ’25, ’26, and ’27 were pitted against each other in a competitive showdown to dictate who has the most school spirit.

With a few practice sessions and determination, the class of ’24 took the crown for the second year in a row. Senior, Hannah Langi (’24), took part in the winning team for both the ’22 and ’23 school years, sharing her excitement regarding what the win meant for those graduating.

“I did it last year and we won as the juniors, but this year I was very excited to see how we would do again, and we won, so it was a lot of fun,” Langi said.

Accompanying the girls in the fierce game, a collection of boys from each grade cheered on their respective teams to victory. With this longstanding Homecoming tradition, cheerleaders prep the boys with an array of tricks as they are equipped with signs, dressed in tutus, and covered in face paint. Kyle Koslin (’26), cheered in his first powderpuff tournament to show his school pride.

“Cheerleading for the powderpuff event was fun for the most part. They dropped me which kind of hurt but it was such a great experience to be a part of,” Koslin said.

As students were dressed as their favorite superheroes and villains for the Marvel Monday theme, enthusiasm was left unwavering throughout the rest of the week. Making a reappearance at the pep rally on Oct. 27, the powderpuff cheerleaders put on one final show to hype up the students for the football game against Sunlake. With the lively performances, intense athleticism, and school pride displayed across the board, the untraditional tradition once again helped cultivate a memorable Homecoming Week.