Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

River Rats

What people like about rivers and what to do on them.
River+Rats

With only 19 Fridays left in the year. A lot of groups find excitement in  a weekend adventure to go to rivers like Weeki Wachee, Crystal River, Rainbow River and many more. For many reasons like wanting to cool down and just to go out and have fun with friends.  

Going to rivers during the summer isn’t just for swimming and tree jumping, but it’s also for the scenery. Destiny Willams (’26) discusses many reasons she enjoys going to the rivers.

“I like to go to the river because it’s crystal clear and you can see through the water,” Williams said.

Traveling to rivers like Weeki Wachee and Rainbow River, a goer can coast downriver and see all the wildlife nature , and scenery. This can help another descriptor with stress in their life by going onto a river and relaxing with no worries in the world.

Nolan Engelke (’26) likes to go to rivers for vacations with friends because that’s where the best memories can be made. Carving out time to travel and traverse Florida’s natural beauty that rivers provide can make sure that you make the best memories with your friends like jumping out of trees and going kayaking/paddleboarding. 

“Every time I go on my Weeki Wachee trip with all my friends it has been the best time of my life because of all the memories that I have made,” Engelke said.

Kendall Calzone (’27) likes to go on rivers to go paddle boarding and kayaking or even boating. A little repetitive look at how to come at this from it at a different angle.