Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Finally free

Gypsy Rose Blanchard rises in popularity, but her rise in fame is a controversial topic.
Addison Phipps scrolling through Gypse Roses instagram.

On Dec. 28 Gypsy Rose Blanchard was released from prison after serving eight years for second degree murder, released by public court record.  At 32 years old Blanchard became well-known and infamous in historyamong true crime lovers and everyday people alike. Her story has gained a following throughout the years but just recently spiked in popularity ever since she was released from prison.. 

Blanchard is known for participating in the planning of the murder of her mother. Her mother would mentally and physically abuse Gypsy until the day she died.(cosmopolitan.com) 

“I think she did the right thing, she was held as a prisoner in her own home and on top of that she was sentenced to 8 more years in real prison,” Evan Zhang (‘27 ) said. 

Blanchard was not the person who committed the murder she instead had planned it; her boyfriend at the time was the one who followed through with her plan. He thought it would bring them closer and help free her. (source again)

“I was blindly in love. That was always very much the case” Nicholas Godejohn, Gypsy’s ex boyfriend stated in an interview for 

He is still in jail and will be since his sentence was life in prison with no opportunity for parole. 

The whole controversy was whether she deserves the fame she is getting. She helped plan out the murder of her own mother but was that the right thing to do? Reina Whitehead (‘26) has mixed opinions on the fame of Blanchard.

“I think she doesn’t deserve all the hype, there are others who are much more influential for people to idolize,” Whitehead said. 

“I don’t have anything against her, I think what she did was questionable but I think she is funny and the way she comments on her husband’s posts always makes me laugh.” ‘happy wife, happy life.’ Elizabeth Patterson(‘25) said. 

Nonetheless she is still growing in popularity and it is showing no sign of stopping. Gypsy went from being imprisoned in her own home to being a well known public figure.