Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Anything helps

The National Honor Society puts small donation jars in classrooms throughout the school to raise funds for Leukemia and cancer awareness
Mr. Siemion (FAC) stands outside his room with a collection box and a bowl of candy to incentivize students who donate to the Pennies for Patients charity.

Students and faculty have been noticing donation jars that have been placed in a majority of the classrooms. They’ve been placed by the National Honor Society (NHS) in order to raise money for cancer and Leukemia awareness, in a fundraiser called “Pennies for Patients.”
  Evan Pippio (’24) an officer for the NHS, explains the purpose of the fundraiser.
    “It’s something that NHS has always done, but my sister wanted to take it on since we have had people in our lives affected by cancer. We placed one donation cup in each class in the whole school to gain donations for the drive,” Pippio said.
  Priya Jacob (’24) elaborates on the effectiveness of the fundraiser and how it can help others who suffer from different types of cancers, and how it helps inspire others.
  “The importance of the fundraiser is to raise awareness for people who suffer from Leukemia [and other cancers] and help them out by giving them money so they can have all they need to combat the hard disease,” Jacob said.
  Daniel Koenig (’24) covers the importance of the fundraiser and why it was started in the first place by members of the NHS.
  “The fundraiser is focused on raising funds for [people who suffer] from Leukemia and the Lymphoma cancer foundation has a service activity [for the community] provided by NHS to gather support for important causes with whatever donations we could find. The cause is pretty widespread out in the world, so it’s bound within the community to have someone affected by this disease. We’re not expecting to get a certain amount of money, but we have some expectations for how much certain classes should raise,” Koenig said.
  With hopes to inspire others to help contribute to combat various cancers such as Leukemia and Lymphoma, NHS follows the footsteps of many others such as charities like The American Cancer Foundation to contribute to the fight against Cancer.