Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Getting ready for the year

Student council members discuss how the system works and what they enjoy most.
Hann
On the back of the front office, students can find galleries of each class and their Student Council members. Each member has a photo and information on what their position is. Check out the galleries to learn more information about who represents your class!

Throughout the school year students look forward to events such as Homecoming and Prom. These events would not be possible if it wasn’t for the Student Council. The Student Council works to plan homecoming week, homecoming itself and the junior class works on prom.

As October rolls around Homecoming is coming up quicker with the Student Council continually working to make sure everything is done.

Executive President,  Achilles Abbas (’24) runs the student council meetings and makes sure everything is running smoothly.

“We’ll be discussing an event like Homecoming. We’ll delegate into our little class groups and discuss ideas for themes or dress up days, and then we’ll come back together as a whole group, and we’ll vote on which things we decide are the best,” Abbas said.

Student Council also helps with the most wonderful week of the year, march madness and shows up to pep rallies to show support.

Secretary for the Sophomore class Anthony Samples is helping prepare for powderpuff and talks about his excitement around helping with the fundraisers.

“The Sophomore fundraisers because we’re working on one right now like a Fall Festival and it’s going to be fun going to events, helping set up and seeing what it’s going to become we spend a lot of time on it so I just want to see what it’s going to look like,” Samples said.

Meetings are held Thursday mornings where they discuss all topics relating to big school events. Most of the information about homecoming has not yet been released but should be soon.

Vice President of the Junior class Carrigan Knightly expresses her excitement around decorating for events.

“I just think decorating everything is so fun. I think decorating for Homecoming is gonna be a lot of fun because we’re doing a lot of balloons like balloon arches, and I’m excited. for prom, we haven’t figured out our theme yet but I’m excited to watch all of it come together,” Knightly said.

At the end of the year elections for student council are held for the upcoming school year  where you apply to be on the ballot then once accepted the students vote. Student Council has a major part in running the events students enjoy most making it an important part of every school.