Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

To sit or not to sit

The lunch room gets crowded.
Tables+stay+empty+after+being+closed+since+the+first+week+of+school.+William+Hadley+%28%E2%80%9824%29+expresses+why+he+doesn%E2%80%99t+like+the+tables+being+closed.++%E2%80%9CIt+sucks+because+it%E2%80%99s+really+nice+outside+and+it%E2%80%99s+starting+to+get+hotter+inside+the+cafeteria%2C%E2%80%9D+Hadley+said.+
Tables stay empty after being closed since the first week of school. William Hadley (‘24) expresses why he doesn’t like the tables being closed. “It sucks because it’s really nice outside and it’s starting to get hotter inside the cafeteria,” Hadley said.

Since the closure of the outside seating many have struggled to find a spot inside the cafeteria to sit at regularly. Many students who only ever sit outside wonder when it is to reopen and grant them their lunches in the sunshine once more.

Skylar Koshis (‘27) who sat outside since the beginning of the school year explains why he wants it back.

“It’s not hard to find a seat outside and I get to sit next to my friends without worry, plus it’s not hot outside anymore so I don’t see the issue, ” Koshis said..

The lack of seating inside of the lunch room poses a problem for some. Others who have sat inside beforehand claim their seats have gotten stolen and that it has gotten way more crowded. Some even resort to just standing up the whole lunch or going to a teachers classroom to avoid the hectic environment in the lunchroom.

Chloe Mathis (‘26) expresses her discomfort.

“Our school is so populated, there’s no point in shoving everybody inside. It’s just crazy. I don’t like that everyone inside has to pile in and steal each other’s tables. Also, everybody wants to stand up, walk around, and throw food. There’s no point in closing outside seating when it’s not 100 degrees outside,” Mathis said.

Some students grow weary, wondering if the seats will even open again this year. So when will these questions be addressed?

Carly Baldwin (FAQ) the eleventh grade assistant principal gives some insight to these questions.

“We plan on opening the outside seating back up in October. The main reason we closed it was because of the heat advisory. It was way too hot to have students and staff stay out there. Especially since the staff have to stay outside for 3 periods straight. It also makes double the space for Mr.Oscar to clean,” says Mrs.Baldwin.

After all these weeks of waiting the students grow excited for the day that the outdoor tables are open again.