Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Margaritaville at last

Students reflect on the passing of Jimmy Buffet and speak about his legacy
Mural painted of Jimmy Buffett in Margaritaville, Key West.
Mi

On Sep. 1, the world lost singer and songwriter Jimmy Buffett. This shocked fans as the man known for his franchise Margaritaville and the quote “It’s 5  o’clock somewhere” passed away in his home at the age of 76. He was known for “beachy lifestyle” of music and the restaurant in the Florida Keys, the loss of the singer has caused sadness all around.  

Dylan Ross (‘24) expresses his feelings on the situation for being an avid listener for many years. 

“It was one of the worst things I woke up too, now whenever we go onto the boat and one of these songs come on it’ll never feel the same knowing that he had passed,” said Ross 

His most popular song was the hit, “It’s Five O’clock Somewhere” with Alan Jackson another country singer. Hundreds of people visited Buffet’s house in Palm Beach, Florida with candles and gifts to remember and celebrate his life in the week after his passing. Many people decorated their own homes in his honor, with signs sporting his quotes, colorful parrots and small tiki bars that are themed to his Margaritaville restaurant. 

Tristan Butts (‘24) goes on about how his family were lucky enough to get the singers signature years before his passing. 

“When me and my parents heard about the news, I think my father was the most in disbelief only because our whole patio and pool was themed around him. He even has a whole machine that makes drinks and plays music for you when they mix,” Butts said. 

Fans around campus have already started showing their gratitude to Buffet. Whether it’s a mural, a food special, or even covers of his originals, the love and memories of Buffet and his music will be remembered for years to come. Tucker Stocks (‘27) is one of the lucky few to have some memorabilia. 

“We had a signed poster of his in my dad’s man cave when I was younger, it is cool memorabilia to have and cherish the few days after we found out what happened”, said Stocks (‘27) 

On Saturday, Sep 16, there was a Jimmy Buffet tribute band playing at Jannus Live in St Petersburg. All his classics and love for him was shared and sung about the whole night. The event was completely free, and all ages were able to attend.