Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Moving the Mini Mustangs

The Varsity Cheer team continues the tradition of cheering with the Mini Mustangs for preseason.
The Mini Mustangs prepare to start the cheers that they learned at the cheer camp with the Mustang Cheer team. This was at the first preseason game on Aug. 18, against George M. Steinbrenner, the Mustangs ended up winning 20-16. Photo by Hanna Carberry

HThe season started for the Varsity cheer team, with some traditions continuing on this season.Brooke Kupic (‘24) is one of the three cheer captains, along with Ellie Chalela (‘24), and Hagan Nichols (‘24). Kupic shows high hopes and excitement for how this season will go.

“I am looking forward to seeing our team grow together. There are a lot of new girls to varsity that are still trying to get the hang of things, but I am excited for us to bond and get better together,” Kupic said.

One thing the Varsity cheer team does is team up with the Mini Mustangs to help prepare them to cheer at the first preseason football game in the first quarter. This has been a tradition for many years.

“We have a three day camp where we teach the girls cheers, chants and dances that we do at football games. Then at our first home game we have a tailgate where we do the girls’ hair, give them face glitter and a shirt, and we get them excited for the game,” Kupic said.

Kupic holds a close relationship with a lot of the girls on the Mini Mustang team after working a cheer camp over the summer, seeing many of the girls daily.

“I have sort of an older sister bond with most of the girls that go to the camp. I love watching all the Mitchell cheerleaders interacting with the younger girls and seeing how much they look up to us and want to cheer for their high school one day,” Kupic said.

Chalela, one of the captains, used to do Mini Mustangs cheer when she was younger. She worked with the three to four age group for her senior year on the team.

“I did Mini Mustangs when I was younger, so seeing all the girls, it’s really cute because it just reminds me of when I did Mini Mustangs. They just want to be you so much and it’s so fun to work with them, because they listen and do everything. It’s really fun to be a part of the younger group,”  Chalela said.

For Olivia Byrd (‘26), this is her first year on the team, and her first time working with the Mini Mustangs. She already knew some of the girls in the age group that she worked with.

“Well, I have the three to five age group, which is the youngest ones, and I definitely see myself working with from three all the way to the 12 age group. I think it’s super fun working with all of them, and they only got along very well,” Byrd said.

Besides just working with the Mini Mustangs, Byrd has high hopes for what the rest of the season will bring.

“Whether I’m going to be on competition or not, I hope they do really good at the competitions. I think we’re all going to succeed together. So, I’m excited to see where everyone goes,” Byrd said.

The team cheered at one of the most excited games of the season, the rivalry game against River Ridge on Sept. 8. The Mustangs beat the Knights with a score of 54-19.