Upcoming Events
  • 5/1-5/23 TESTING
  • 5/23 SENIOR BREAKFAST
  • 5/24 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!
The Online Source for J.W. Mitchell High School News

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

The Hoofbeat

Print Edition

Racking up the fees

Students discuss how much they are paying in school related fees, and their opinions on the matter.
Bella Melby-Mazzei
A students screen with the website Rycor is pulled up, showing all the club and school fees that have yet to be paid. On the website you can pay in full, or make partial payments, and it is a way for students and parents to keep track of what fees they have remaining.

It’s that time of year when students are having to pay for school, sports, clubs, and for seniors, graduation fees. For some students, these fees start to pile up. Bella Jaye (‘24) is one of these students, with around $200 in club payments this year.

“I understand a lot of the clubs I am in have national dues to pay, since most of them are honor societies, but I feel like there are ways to lower fees and make the club more inclusive to our entire school,” Jaye said.

Depending on the club or sport, the fees can be different amounts. Most average around $20 for fees, but there are many factors that can impact the amount due. Some of which include for new or returning members, having to buy a club shirt, cords for seniors, trips, and other extensive monetary requirements.

“Some fees are reasonable, but once they start to reach $30 and up it becomes excessive, especially when cord fees are piled on top of that,” Jaye said.

Maya Killian (‘25) another student that is a member of many different clubs, accumulating $120 in school fees this year.

“They were a shock at the beginning seeing the total, but I know that being in those clubs is something I really wanted to join so I don’t mind,” Killian said.

Jaye gives suggestions on some things that clubs could adopt to make it more inclusive for the entirety of the student body.

“I know for most of the clubs that I am in there are monthly events members must participate in to remain a member in good standing.I think as part of that there should be fundraising events to help lower dues for members, or even a fundraiser to help sponsor members that may not be able to afford it. Students should be as involved in their school as they want, and fees shouldn’t be the primary reason to hold them back,” Jaye said.

Fees are a fundamental part for clubs that have plans for different events throughout the year. Killian feels that the fees are justifiable depending on what comes with paying the fees.

“I do think the prices are fair if it includes the shirt, however I feel if you are reapplying for a club you’ve been in, there should be either less in fees or none at all,” Killian said.

Mrs. Gina Schulaski (FAC) is the sponsor for Leo club and National English Honors Society. Her and the officer team decide what the club dues will be.

“For National English Honor Society we have to actually pay dues to them every year, so those fees tend to be a little higher than Leo Club. It’s also under a national umbrella, and so we have to go by their guidelines,” Mrs. Schulaski said.

For students who might not be able to join a club mainly because of the fees, there can be alternative options.

“In my clubs anyway, I like to sponsor students when I can,” Mrs. Schulaski said.

While school fees can start to feel a little overwhelming, they are a fundamental part of the club, and necessary to make sure that the clubs and functions run smoothly.