Starting the kickoff

During the first home football game on Friday, August 26, players of the Varsity team explain how they felt about the outcome of the game. 

Mattox Sartori, Editor

On Friday, the Mitchell Mustangs football team went against the Gulf Buccaneers, taking the win   49-0. The team’s record currently stands at 1-0. 

Wesley Burkhart (‘24) discusses how his and his team’s performance and dedication resulted in the outcome of the game. 

“I feel that I did decent, but I would like to capitalize on more opportunities in the future. We were great on both sides of the ball, the defense definitely stepped up and made them pay, and the offense just kept firing when they were on their heels. One of the beneficial plays that contributed to our win was when we went on defense first then after they punted at us, the first two plays we scored. Then, after another defensive drive, we scored after another two, our offensive power was amazing, just as the defense was,” Burkhart said.  

With both the offense and defenses’ demanding work during the game it gave the Mustangs a high advantage to win without allowing the Buccaneers to score once. 

Tayshawn Sullivan (‘23) elaborates on how he felt about his performance and overall, the experience of the game. 

“I felt my performance was good, I read my gaps well and beat double teams. As a team, we trusted each other, and the game plan that our coach had created for that game helped us earn our win, along with us playing as one team. This season, I think we are going to shock a lot of people in a positive way with our performance on the field. It always feels good to have that home opener win but there are many more to come,” Sullivan said. 

The team having a structured gameplay by the coaches, and every teammate being able to work together as one contributed to the outcome of the game. 

“Winning the first home game was a great feeling, the Stang Gang was incredible, and the band created such an amazing atmosphere, it was astounding,” Burkhart said.  

The cheering of the students in the stands create a joyful atmosphere for the players of the varsity football team, allowing them to feel relaxed and leading them to an exciting win. On Friday, September 2nd the football team goes against the East Lake Eagles. The theme for the game will be Hawaiian, make sure you come out to support the team!