Irish you a happy St. Patty’s day

St. Patrick’s Day traditions celebrated by students.

Aerial Stonis, Staff Reporter

During Ms. Tara Campbell’s (FAC) years at Ryerson University in Toronto, Ontario; she celebrated St. Patrick’s Day by going to pubs and drinking green beer with her friends. St. Patrick’s Day is an Irish-Catholic holiday, however it is now celebrated by many other cultures and religions. Drinking at pubs, wearing green, eating corned beef and cabbage, and having parades, are many ways people celebrate the holiday, but how did that come to be?

Most St. Patrick’s Day traditions did not start in Ireland, but in the United States. According to history.com, the first recorded Irish-American “celebration” of St. Patrick’s Day was in Boston in 1737, which contrasts with the original gloomy religious services and feasts. Over time, the holiday grew in popularity as more Irish immigrated to the United States. Major American cities now have parades, bars offer St. Patty’s drinks and events, and companies create and market products for the holiday.

Every year as it nears March 17, McDonald’s comes out with a “Shamrock Shake” in honor of the holiday. The green, minty milkshake was introduced in 1970 and has been sold over 60 million times, according to Fox News. After Christopher Saintvall (‘23) tried his first McDonald’s Shamrock Shake last year, he is excited to get them again.

“I drink them around St.Patty’s day because it brings out the festiveness of the holiday,” Saintvall said.

Mikey Pekarek (‘24) spends every St. Patrick’s Day with a family dinner at his grandmother’s house. She prepares corned beef and cabbage, a popular St. Patty’s day meal. Pekarek plans on passing the tradition on for future generations

“I think it’s important to keep the tradition going, especially if I have kids one day, I’m definitely going to pull out traditions I did with my grandparents,” Pekarek said.

For those wanting to participate in St. Patrick’s Day festivities this year, check out the “Easy Corned Beef and Cabbage” recipe on allrecipes.com and remember to wear green.