Cards and competition

Health career club recruits members to make cards for nursing home residents and participate in competition events.

Alexa Grubbs

HOSA provided card templates for members to write thoughtful notes to nursing home residents.

Alexa Grubbs, Editor

Future Health Professionals, HOSA, helps students interested in pursuing a career in the medical field get involved in the world of medicine.  Each semester HOSA requires its members to participate in two events. The club introduced their event opportunity for January at their first meeting of the new year on Jan. 13. The officers of the club decided to make cards for the residents of Raydiant Health Care of New Port Richey to help keep their spirits high around Valentine’s Day. The cards are supposed to be filled with thoughtful and uplifting messages, and are due for members on Jan. 31. Each card counts for one event.

“Considering how difficult it can be for these residents to have to stay in a room all day with little to no interaction, our officer team wanted to provide them with positive messages to help spread joy and cheerfulness,” Vice President Aneet Khanna (‘22) said.

HOSA is also in the midst of their yearly competition at Winter Haven High School on Feb. 5, where members get the chance to choose a health-related event to showcase their knowledge and possibly receive recognition by placing in the event. Events offered include Sports Medicine, CPR/First Aid, Medical Math, Health Care Photography, and more. The competition events require tests to be taken before Feb. 5., and some students have to compete again at Winter Haven for the second round of their event.

“I competed in the Human Growth and Development event. I feel good about this year’s competition, especially since we have a lot more kids participating this year and we all get to ride a bus together to Winter Haven instead of driving ourselves,” Secretary Rhyse Sampang (‘22) said.

Those who already completed the entirety of their event before Feb. 5 get to enjoy the activities set up and meet other students from their high school’s HOSA chapter. The event has a business attire dress code and members need to print out their event’s guidelines. Students interested in joining HOSA next year, visit Ms. Elizabeth Bruegger (FAC) in room 717.