Leading to learn

The outstanding senior at J.W. Mitchell High School is recognized by Gregg Schindler for her superb contribution to the school and community.

The+outstanding+senior+at+J.W.+Mitchell+High+School+is+recognized+by+Gregg+Schindler+for+her+superb+contribution+to+the+school+and+community.+

Jessica Schultz

Ashley Hoskins, co-editor-in-chief

A member of nine clubs and an officer in five of them, Bebel Vieira (‘22) provides support for her community throughout the year while organizing events for the student body. Not only does she remain a member in good standing, but she serves as President of National Honor Society, Executive President of Student Council, and Vice President of Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD), among other leadership roles.

“I’ve always tried to be as active in the school as I can, whether it’s through clubs or helping other students. One of my favorite things to do is to orientate new students. I’m really proud of my school and for participating in all the ways that I can,” Vieira said.

Adviser of the National Honor Society, Ms. Denise Crabtree (FAC) worked with Vieira to plan a fundraiser for healthcare workers during the month of October for their ICU campaign project.

“She’s a role model for others to get involved. She works with all the committees to get the work done that’s needed and she’s good at getting her peers to step up and become interested. It’s a really good quality in a leader and for her age. It’s very impressive. She does it in a way that is collaborative and it’s going to serve her very well in life,” Ms. Crabtree said.

Due to hard work and dedication, Vieira was chosen as Outstanding Senior for the Class of 2022 by her fellow classmates and the staff at school.

“I was shocked. I think that all of the nominees were amazing students. I was just super happy and honored to be on the list with everyone,” Vieira said.

She will be recognized at graduation in June with a plaque. In her submission for Outstanding Senior, Vieira outlined what club membership has given her.

“It has taught me that to be an outstanding leader, friend, student, and citizen is to make individuals feel inspired and valued. It is to pass joy and knowledge. It is knowing that by putting energy into others, you are in turn giving more to yourself,” Vieira wrote.

Vieira continues to strive for excellence as she furthers her plans to attend a four-year university to major in English or International Science along with maximizing her potential throughout her academic career. She credits those around her for a measure of her success.

“All my friends and family, specifically a bunch of teachers that have supported me and have been my rock. It’s really nice to have that sense of family,” Vieira said