Leaving defeated and coming back stronger

With a rough start to this year’s season, the girls’ varsity basketball team plans to improve.

At+the+varsity+girls%E2%80%99+basketball+game+on+Friday%2C+Nov.+19%2C+a+Tampa+Prep+player+tried+to+block+Isabella+Reed+%28%E2%80%9923%29+when+trying+to+pass+to+her+teammates.+

Hanna Carberry-Simmering

At the varsity girls’ basketball game on Friday, Nov. 19, a Tampa Prep player tried to block Isabella Reed (’23) when trying to pass to her teammates.

Hanna Carberry-Simmering, Staff Reporter

The varsity girls’ basketball team had their first game on Nov. 16. It ended in a loss to Cambridge Christian with a score of 41- 45. No. 24, Julia Rueda (’23) was chosen as player of the game after she scored 20 points. The second game of the season and the first home game was on Nov. 19, which also ended in a loss with a score of 55-60. No. 24, point guard, Isabella Reed (’23) and the team plans to improve even with Christmas break 

We’re doing tournaments over Thanksgiving and Christmas break, and we are also going to practice over break,” Reed said. 

The team spent the summer preparing. They began practicing last spring and continue throughout the season.  No. 5, capitan and shooting guard, Hannah Judd practiced over the summer with the team and without the team. 

“I play travel basketball over summer so I’m constantly on the court. That helped prepare me,” Judd said. 

This year the varsity team has five freshmen. The girls are using practice as a way to bond while preparing for games. No. 1, point guard Brianna Coure (’25) is new to the team this year but has already gotten close with her teammates. 

“I’m looking forward to everything really, I have the best teammates they are like my sisters. We spend time together and everything, it’s really a sisterhood. I’m excited for what we get to do and experience together,” Coure said. 

On Nov. 30, they had another home game against Sunlake. The game ended with a win of 54- 51. They’ve competed in two more home games since then against Calvary Christain on Dec. 2, and Zephyrhills on Dec. 8. Their next two games will be home games against Clearwater and Gulf. Come out on Dec. 10 to show the girls support against Clearwater and Dec. 14 to show your support against Gulf.