Expire the wildfires

The photo shows a wildfire aggressively spreading through a forest near a lake.

Mattox Sartori, Staff Reporter

As California wildfires continue into late Sept. 2021, residents of the state dealt with these disasters continuously spreading for over a year. 

According to Sofia Waterfield, writer for Newsweek, “the fire began on September 5, 2020, at 10:23 a.m. in El Dorado Ranch Park, Yucaipa.”  

The fires have taken a great toll on the environment in California, leading up to an estimated 1,968,326 acres (about the area of Connecticut), and 3,050 structures’ damaged or destroyed throughout 2021, according to  www.fire.ca.gov .

Alyssa Baker, a student who devotes her time to Global Empowerment Movement (GEM) Club, elaborates the seriousness of the fires.

“Over the past year, the wildfires have spread a far distance across California and taken a total of 30 plus lives throughout this past year and the conditions of the fires will get a lot worst if it is not treated properly,” Baker said. 

People around the world and state of California are allocating their time and money to defend California wildlife. Ezra David Romero states on www.capradio.org, “the ideas in the Legislature stand alongside Gov. Gavin Newsom’s recent proposal to invest a billion dollars into wildfire prevention in the next year and a half.” This is important because $230 million was spent from the state on fire prevention in the 2020-21 fiscal year.  

Students interested in helping those affected by the fires can visit this site: www.thathelps.com/ways-to-help-people-affected-by-california-wildfires/