The roaring lions

On Sept. 3 at 7:50 a.m. all members of the Leo Club recited the Leo pledge for the first time this year.

Hanna Carberry-Simmering

Hanna Carberry-Simmering, Staff Reporter

The Leo Club has helped students for 63 years internationally. It allows students to be more in touch with the community and learn important skills. Volunteer hours are required for graduation and some college scholarships. Returning member Oliver Lutz (‘22), joined Leo Club his sophomore year. 

“It has given me volunteer hours, but it has also just been kind of a fun thing to do, and it has made me feel good helping out the community. Helping those in need at different places is a very good way to spend your time because you’re contributing,” Lutz said. 

Growing rapidly, as of sept. 1 there are around 170 members, whereas in the past there were less than 100 members. They meet on the first Friday of every month. This year, the first meeting was on Sept. 3 at 7:50 a.m. According to Lionsclubs.org, there is an estimated amount of 1.4 million members internationally. During the meetings they say our Leo Club pledge, that’s from their national sponsor, Lions Club, then they give out information about volunteering opportunities. English teacher and one of the Leo club sponsors, Ms. Leavey describes what occurs at meetings. 

“We talk about the dues because we do have dues that the students pay to the nationals. We talk about collections that we donate a lot to the community as far as animal shelters, abuse shelters, or the suicide awareness watch that we talk about at the meetings too,” Ms. Leavey said. 

Leo Club used to have a GPA requirement but due to COVID-19 it was eliminated. Another returning member, Aneet Khanna (‘22) believes that inviting others to meetings would improve the club.  

“I think something we could incorporate in our meetings is probably [Having] guest speakers come from different events or charities and talk about how the service the club members provide is so beneficial and provide examples of how it has helped so many people in our community,” Khanna said. 

Students willing to donate time, effort, and money for collections are welcome to join. To apply for the club, students need to turn in their application and pay $25 before Sept. 3.