CDC suggestions

Mattox Sartori, staff reporter

On Jan. 17. 2022, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced their suggestion for sports, band, and many other school activities to come to an end to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

According to Elizabeth Cohen, CNN’s Senior Medical Correspondent, the CDC is highly suggesting sports that involve physical contact with other players be canceled this spring season.

“If the scientists at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had their way, to curb the spread of COVID-19 right now, nearly every U.S. school would cancel football, wrestling, band and loads of other mainstay school activities,” Cohen said.

With the CDC’s proposition, students planning to go to school for their college sport will not be able to finish this year’s season, causing scouts and other college recruiters to miss the opportunity to watch the students excel. Olivia Colvin (24) recognizes the impact the proposition from the CDC could have on her future.

“If the CDC’s suggestion to enact that schools should cancel their sports becomes true, I would not get to participate in the sports that I love to do. If I have the skills by my senior year of high school, I will hope to be noticed by a few scouts and college coaches and possibly attend a college for cheer. Without hard work and practice that will come out of this year’s practice and potentially the future seasons, I fear that I will fall behind with my skills and not be able to succeed by my senior year of high school,” Colvin said.

The Center for Disease Control’s proposition affects many high school students’ careers overall, whether the students are athletically talented or musically talented, and even talented in an after school club that holds meaning for their future.

While getting rid of extracurricular activities may help stop a few cases of the COVID-19 virus, sports and other school activities will not be the root of the spread of this disease. Instead of endorsing students’ careers, the CDC will be destroying many talented futures.