Sitting in the front of the class Haberlin reads a Dr. Seuss book from home to read to the preschool students. Taking her second trip Haberlin plans to return to the school to visit the kids again. (keira walter)
Sitting in the front of the class Haberlin reads a Dr. Seuss book from home to read to the preschool students. Taking her second trip Haberlin plans to return to the school to visit the kids again.

keira walter

Members of NEHS tell their stories

The National English Honors society takes their members over to the Little Scholars to read to the preschoolers.

March 6, 2022

Lined up on their colorful carpet the preschoolers of Dayspring Academy focus their attention at the front of the room as Marissa Haberlin (‘22) reads a Dr. Seuss book to the kids. Starting this year the National English Honors society (NEHS) took their trip over to the Dayspring academy Little Scholars preschool to share their children’s stories with the classes.

The NEHS club provided their members a way to gain volunteer hours while also getting to share an experience with the kids of Dayspring. Continuing her second year in NEHS, Haberlin took her second trip to the preschool and hopes to go again.

“I love it, when I’m older I want to be a pediatrician so it’s really nice to already be interacting with kids and they are really cute. I definitely want to go back again,” Haberlin said.

Taking on his first year as President of the club Kole Kemple (‘22), had expressed his satisfaction with the members and the school’s experience.

“The people there say the kids look forward to it and the members always have positive feedback. The members actually sign up for more dates than they need to for credit cause they just like doing it so much” Kemple said.

Carter Smith (‘22) and the other members all come to the preschool providing their own childhood books. On Feb. 28 Smith brought his childhood book from home to share with the kids. This is Smith’s first year in NEHS and he hopes to come back to the preschool again.

“I was so happy that the kids were so lovely and were so cute and welcome. I brought Wacky Wednesday, all the kids were very interested and they crowded around,” Smith said

The NEHS will continue on through the year going to the preschool. To join NEHS students can contact Mrs. Schulaski, the NEHS advisor, at room 502 for an application.