From a Cadet to a champion

Senior Alyssa Howry takes command in NJROTC and girls weightlifting

December’s Gregg Schindler club member of the month is none other than Alyssa Howry (‘22), who leads her peers in both the Naval Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps and the girls weightlifting team.

Howry joined the NJROTC program as a freshman, looking to explore her interest in the military.

“I decided to join ROTC because I wanted to go into the military when I was growing up, and I thought it was a great way to serve my community, as well as my own interests,” Howry said.

After spending most of her high school career in the NJROTC program, Howry has become one of the staff members, helping to lead her peers in the program.

“I am Command Master Chief, so I basically connect the entirety of our cadets to our staff, meaning that if they have a problem, they come to me. If they need anything, they come to me first,” Howry said.

After high school, Howry plans to continue pursuing her military career at the United States Coast Guard Academy.

“I want to go to the Coast Guard Academy, and become an officer in the United States Coast Guard. I like their humanitarian missions, and their beliefs,” Howry said.

In addition to her time with NJROTC, and a schedule that includes two Advanced Placement and two dual enrollment courses, Howry holds the position of team captain on the girls weightlifting team, and is a member of Interact club. Athletics inside and outside of NJROTC bring out Howry’s competitive nature.

“Field meets and athletic competitions [are my favorite things]. [I like] field meets because it is very competitive and I’m a very competitive person. [I like] athletics because I am good at it and I can win,” Howry said.

Besides her family, one of Howry’s biggest influences is Ms. Stephanie Martanovic (FAC).

“Mrs. Martanovic has been such a big help in everything that I have done. She is our teacher sponsor for Interact, so I see her all the time, and she is wonderful,” Howry said.

Ms. Martanovic had Howry in class when she took AP World History her sophomore year, and is now her adviser for the Interact Club. Commenting on Howry’s dedication to academics and serving her community, Ms. Martanovic had a message for Howry for the future.

“Alyssa, I respect your integrity, maturity, and passion for service so much. I hope that you continue to always follow your heart and that you hold on to your integrity and self-confidence no matter what challenges you face. I know that you have all the capabilities and ambition to achieve your goals, so remain focused and continue to be amazing,” Martanovic said.

Congratulations to Alyssa Howry on winning the Gregg Schindler club member of the month award for December.

The Hoofbeat • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Donate to The Hoofbeat
$100
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Comments (0)

All The Hoofbeat Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *